EXCEPTIONAL STONE HOUSE IN THE OLD TOWN DUBROVNIK FOR SALE
This exceptional house is located in the middle of Dubrovnik Old Town.
It is situated in a quiet street 100 meters away from Stradun (Placa) and 100 meters away from the Old Port Porporela and the Adriatic Sea.
Stradun, The Church of St Blaise, Dubrovnik Cathedral, Orlando’s Column and Sponza Palace (all focal points of Dubrovnik Old Town) are 50-100 meters away from the house.
Boasting a superb location on one of Dubrovnik’s quiet streets, this incredible four bedroom house is generously arranged over four floors.
This beautiful house offers bespoke and stylish interiors and was recently completely refurbished to the highest standard.
The vendors have completed extensive refurbishment to the house enhancing and retaining all the wonderful period features such as natural stone interior from 16th century, beautiful original old windows, whilst incorporating all the modern comforts of 21st century living.
Property features reception room with an open plan designer kitchen, Gallery with library and sitting area, four double bedrooms and three bathrooms.
The House is built on four levels and offers:
Ground Floor – an entrance hall, corridor, one bathroom, built in sideboard to one end houses the washing machine, tumble dryer and storage cupboard with Heating and cooling systems.
First Floor – Two double bedrooms, one of them is currently being used as study.
Second Floor – Master Bedroom, Second Bedroom (used as large Walk-In Closet), and master bathroom with large shower cabin.
Third Floor – Charming Living –Family Room and a bespoke kitchen built in pale oak under a granite work surface, two sinks, modern Miele appliances.
Fourth Floor – Gallery with built-in walnut library, sitting area with beautiful view over Dubrovnik Old Town, King Size bed, Media system and bathroom.
House also includes central heating and cooling system. It also includes original (newly made according to old drawings) wooden window shutters – both inside and outside.
Most of the original features remain including original 16th Century Stone stairs. The plaster coving, cornicing and wood panelling has been replaced throughout.
– Charming Reception room with beautiful Cathedral view.
– Integrated kitchen with space to dine.
– Wonderful Gallery with views over Dubrovnik roofs and Srdj Mountain
– Four bedrooms and three bathrooms
– Entry foyer, storage rooms for utilities
– Tranquil location in the heart of Dubrovnik Old Town.
– House has 172 m2
Extensive meticulous renovation was done throughout the house.
It lasted 2 years and “no stone was left unturned”
Everything was changed – walls, windows, carpentry, electricity, plumbing, floors, doors, roof,..
The highest quality materials and fixtures were used in the process.
Extensive refurbishment was done according to the strict rules of Dubrovnik Heritage Society Office and with utmost respect for Historic legacy and beauty of Dubrovnik Old Town.
ABOUT DUBROVNIK – PEARL OF THE ADRIATIC
Dubrovnik is a city in southern Croatia fronting the Adriatic Sea. It is known for its distinctive Old Town, encircled with massive stone walls completed in the 16th century. Its well-preserved buildings range from baroque St. Blaise Church to Renaissance Sponza Palace and Gothic Rector’s Palace, now a history museum. Paved with limestone, the pedestrianized Stradun (or Placa) is lined with shops and restaurants.
Dubrovnik is one of the world’s most magnificent walled cities. Now a UNESCO world heritage site and Croatia’s most up-market destination, it was once the capital of the wealthy sea-faring Republic of Ragusa (1358-1808).
Today Dubrovnik is the proudest feather in Croatia’s tourist cap, an elite destination and one of the most beautiful towns in the Mediterranean.
George Bernard Shaw was enchanted by this beautiful city, about which he said “those who seek paradise on Earth should come to Dubrovnik and find it”, as well as, famously, describing it as “the pearl of the Adriatic”.
As early as 19th century, it was discovered by celebrities as a place to be seen. Royalty, presidents and diplomats have all favoured the city. The late Pope John Paul II was a fan of Dubrovnik and was even made an honorary citizen. Celebrities such as Brian Ferry, Diego Maradona, Francis Ford Coppola and Tina Turner have recently been spotted here.
Out of the 23 top luxury hotels in Croatia in 2014, a dozen were located in Dubrovnik.
During its Golden Age in the 16th century, it had one of the largest merchant naval fleets in the world, with consulates in more than 50 foreign ports. Brave sailors, hard-bargaining merchants and shrewd diplomats, the people of Dubrovnik became extremely rich, leading sophisticated lifestyles and valuing refinement and the arts.
Today, visitors come here for leisure, not to trade. The main draw is the charming pedestrian-only old town, packed with aristocratic palazzi and elegant Baroque churches, contained within sturdy medieval fortifications.
Add to this the beaches, pristine sea, informal eateries serving top-notch seafood, chic five-star hotels and adventure sports facilities, and your dream place to visit is made.
Old Town and its many sights (including the well-preserved city walls along which one can walk) is one of the top attractions here. During summertime Dubrovnik Summer Festival (Dubrovacke Ljetnje Igre) is held every year with music, theatre and dance performances. The Old Town is also famous for Stradun (also known as Placa), the main thoroughfare – one of the greatest pleasures for many visitors is to have a drink in one of the nearby cafes and watch the world go by, whilst they themselves are being watched by the city patron, St. Blaise, or Sveti Vlaho as the locals call him.
Main Attractions of Old Town are:
Stradun, also called Placa, runs from Pile Gate to Ploce Gate. The paving stones were laid in 1468. At one end (at Pile Gate) is the Onofrio Fountain whilst at the other end is the Orlando Column, a favourite meeting place for locals.
Dubrovnik Old Town Walls
The city walls were originally constructed in the 10th century, although fortified considerably in 1453. The threat of attacks from the Turks in the 15th century prompted the city to strengthen the existing forts and add new ones, so that the entire old town was contained within a stone barrier 2km long and up to 25m high. They are 3m thick along the sea wall, and 6m thick inland. The Old Town has fortresses at its four corners, which are the Minceta Tower, Revelin Fortress, St John’s Fortress, and Bokar Bastion.
Constructed in 1522 – a survivor of the 1667 earthquake – the Palace has had a variety of uses over the centuries, including where the Republic of Ragusa minted its currency. These days, it houses the city archives upstairs whilst downstairs is used for exhibitions and during the Summer Festival.
From the 15th and 16th centuries, the western gate was and is the traditional entrance to the Old Town. The gate contains a statue of St Blaise, Dubrovnik’s patron saint.
Onofrio’s Large Fountain (Great Onofrio Well)
Originally constructed in 1438 by Italian architect Onofrio della Cava, the fountain was partially damaged in the 1667 earthquake and further during the war in 1992 (although it was rapidly restored). The fountain was part of the city’s water mains constructed in the 15th century which brought water from the Dubrovacka River 12km away.
The eastern entrance to the Old Town, this gate stems from the 15th century.
The main part of the monastery was destroyed in the earthquake of 1667 and was rebuilt. The monastery also contains what is thought to be the oldest pharmacy/apothecary in Europe, from 1316/7, and a calming cloister from 1360.
The Church of St Blaise (Crkva svetog Vlaha in Croatian)
A Baroque church, built between 1705 and 1717, which features a silver statue of the Dubrovnik patron saint on the altar, holding a model of the city, which is brought out each year during the Festival of St Blaise. The stained glass windows of the church are relatively recent, having been added in the 1970s.
The cathedral currently standing dates from 1673, designed by Roman architect Andrea Buffalini to replace the original 12th century cathedral which was destroyed by the earthquake. The cathedral includes assumption Of Our Lady/The Virgin painting/polyptych that has been assumed to have been painted by Titian. The Treasury of the cathedral is home to the skull of St Blaise which has been encased in a jewel-encrusted crown. Another earthquake in 1979 saw cause to dig drains beneath the cathedral; these excavations uncovered a Romanesque cathedral beneath the current one. Further digging, uncovered another church underneath this one, dating from about the 6th century.
Mainly designed by Onofrio della Cava – who also designed Onofrio’s fountain – the rector’s palace has a somewhat turbulent history. The original building (from 1200) was completely destroyed in 1435 by a gunpowder explosion; this one, from the same year, saw the second floor also completely destroyed by an other explosion in 1463. Further damage was caused by the 1667 earthquake. The result of all this tumult meant the resulting building is built in various styles and by various designers. Currently home to the city museum, the palace was of course home to the Rector, who acted as a kind of figurehead of the Republic of Ragusa with little actual power.
Dubrovnik Cable Car
One of Dubrovnik’s famed attractions used to be its cable car – built in 1969 – which rose up to the top of Mount Srdj above the city, giving visitors a chance to take in some (even more) spectacular views of the Old Town and the shoreline. Sadly, the cable car was completely destroyed during the war in the early 1990s and was never repaired…until 2010! The service has now been fully restored with entirely new equipment and is now an absolute must for visitors once again. A journey to the top of Mount Srdj takes only 3 minutes, and once there you can take in the views whilst enjoy a snack, or something more, at the cafe or restaurant at the top.